Police certificate of conduct

Before anyone can be appointed as an expert for the Child Welfare Tribunal, they must submit a police certificate of conduct; see the Child Welfare Act Section 12-11 fourth paragraph.

The requirement for a police certificate applies to
•    experts appointed to assess the case pursuant to the Child Welfare Act Section 14-11 second paragraph (e),
•    experts appointed to talk to children under the Child Welfare Act Section 14-13, and
•    experts involved in dialogue processes pursuant to the Child Welfare Act Section 4-14 second paragraph.

What is a police certificate of conduct
A police certificate of conduct is a childcare certificate of conduct as described in the Police Databases Act Section 39 first paragraph. A childcare certificate of conduct states whether the person concerned has been convicted of sexual offences, violence and drug offences etc. It also provides information about whether they are under investigation for this type of offence. In addition, the Police Databases Act Section 43 provides the client with the possibility of requesting updated information at a later date on the basis of a specific assessment. 

Procedure for obtaining a police certificate of conduct
Before you are appointed as an expert, the Tribunal will send you a confirmation of the purpose of the police certificate. Once you have received the confirmation, you must submit your application for a police certificate and the confirmation to the police. We recommended submitting a digital application via the police website. The police will take up to two weeks to process the application. It is therefore important to apply as soon as possible. 

The appointment
Once you have received the police certificate of conduct, you must send it to the Tribunal via the case portal. If the police certificate is without remarks, the Tribunal will appoint you as an expert. Only then can you start working as an expert.

Previously submitted police certificate
You are not required to submit a new police certificate of conduct if you have already submitted one to the Child Welfare Tribunal as an expert. However, if you have submitted a police certificate for other reasons than assignments as an expert for the Child Welfare Tribunal, you must submit a new police certificate before you can be assigned cases as an expert for the Tribunal.

Remuneration rates

Experts are paid according to the rates that apply when they carry out their assignment, as set by the Central Office for the Child Welfare Tribunal. The current rate is NOK 1,140 per hour.


The tribunal chair sets the remuneration in each individual case.
An expert will be paid for up to four hours of time spent reading the documents in the case. If more time is required, the expert must consult the tribunal chair.

Meetings that are cancelled or shorter than planned

Experts are compensated for two hours if a dialogue meeting is cancelled or postponed with less than two workdays’ notice. No compensation will be paid if meetings are shorter than planned.


Remuneration is paid for travel time and other types of absence between 08:00 and 16:00 on weekdays (Monday to Friday). Only travel time is paid outside of these times. No remuneration is paid for the hours between 22.00 and 06.00.

The amount of remuneration is determined according to the current applicable rate. Remuneration is only paid for absences longer than 30 minutes. No remuneration will be paid for travel to and from the tribunal premises in cases where it would be cheaper for the Norwegian state if the expert stayed locally.
By travel time is meant the actual time spent travelling, including any necessary waiting time. No remuneration is paid for absences lasting less than 30 minutes. However, if the absence amounts to more than 30 minutes, remuneration is paid for the total absence, meaning that no deduction is to be made for the first 30 minutes. Remuneration is paid for every half hour commenced.

Registering claims for remuneration and reimbursement of travel expenses

When an assignment has been completed, please register claims for fees and reimbursement for travel expenses and other expenses via one of the following:
• The Norwegian Government Agency for Financial Management’s (DFØ) self-service portal (login via the ID-porten solution)
• App: DFØ Selvbetjening/DFØ Self service (available in the App Store and Google Play. First-time login via ID-porten)
The tribunal you have worked for has to order access before you can use the portal or app for the first time.
People who have opted out of electronic communication with the public administration, or are unable to submit an electronic form, can use paper forms. Grounds must be given for all exemptions.

The Norwegian Government Agency for Financial Management (DFØ) is responsible for providing guidance and user support. For questions of a technical nature, contact DFØ's customer service centre by phoning (+47) 400 18 659 or sending an email to lonn@dfo.no

Pay type for fees

Register the fee claim using Pay type 5534: Committee fees.

Travel receipts and other documentation

All required receipts and other documentation must be submitted for payment to be approved (this does not apply to fee claims). The best way to do this is to upload the attachments in PDF format when registering the claim. The app allows you to take photos of receipts and then upload them. Submitting documentation digitally is more secure and will ensure faster payment than submitting it by post.

Required documentation includes:
•    Receipts and other documentation of travel expenses (with the exception of receipts for road tolls and the cheapest form of public transport – e.g. bus or train)
•    Receipts for expenses to be reimbursed
•    For air travel, documentation is required to show the route, date, cost and name of the traveller (a receipt of purchase is not sufficient). Please provide either an itinerary from the airline/travel agent issued after the flight was completed, or a receipt of purchase of a flight ticket and a boarding card/seat receipt. If you have an electronic boarding card, take a screenshot and upload it as an electronic attachment to the travel expense claim